Monday 9 February 2015

What's with the bells?

Yea really what's with the bells?

Well, lets figure out through this post :). Bells are usually hollow metal objects typically in the shape of a deep inverted cup and has a deep musical note when struck by the clapper inside.

Each bell produces a different sound, depending of the size, shape, material it is made up of. Yup! now that's what gets my attention. I would go a step ahead and say each bell has a unique sound. Some sound like a gong, some have a short sound like say "ting ting tin" some are soothing sounds, and some sound like the 'Om' absolutely pure.

Bells have different utility e.g. there is the school bell and it rings best when it rings for the last time in the day. Umn, fortunately my son hasn't started reading my posts yet.

The bell in the mandir are used to attract the attention of the god. Its also believed that the mandir bell helps clear the energy of the devotee, thereby creating a peaceful mind that enables prayers.

Then there are the copper bells, the show bells that really dont make any sound as such, and ofcourse last but not the least the windchimes. 

Incase you are wondering why such a detailed post on bells.......... thats because I love bells and have them in various shapes and sizes around my house hee hee. 

So without much ado lets jump to the bells around my house.........


The above is the picture of the the bells I painted right outside my main door. Yeah these pretty lively bells welcome visitors. Its also a hit with kids in the building.


The extreme left is the picture of a terracotta bell, that makes no sound. The middle one is the picture of a wall handing and has a bell at the end. The extreme right one is a handmade door hanging I created and has a bell at the end.

 The above is a common temple bell used during puja and aarti in households.


The above are little chimes which I have hung on the door handles of the wardrobe. Aren't they just so pretty!


The above is the picture of the wind chime. This produces the best sound. I just love it, its so soothing.

The extreme left in the above picture, is a gift from Istanbul. The other two above are Chinese bells. They look very pretty, one goes in the car as well.

The above one friends is a brass wall hanging from Khan market Delhi.

Amongst all these pretty bells in the house, there is one bell that I absolutely do not like and its the door bell!! 

So what do you think of bells, what comes to mind? Also do write what you think of my bell collection, in the comments section below. 








No comments:

Post a Comment