Tuesday 20 September 2016

Touching feet - Respect?

The question mark in the headline is a deliberate one and is also the topic of discussion today.

From my younger days I have been averse to touching people’s feet. In the teens it was labelled ‘rebellious’ But, I sure did know it wasn’t. I just didn’t like the idea. And I also declared that touching someone’s feet doesn’t ensure that I really respect that person. Anyways days passed and I kind of put my guards down. Eventually, I just did it as a physical exercise. There was no point discussing it with anyone because somehow no one seemed to understand.


On and off, I would discuss this topic with others and somehow most people seemed to have no problem doing it. Then came along my good friend google. I googled for any information on this tradition. Few things came up:
  •          With the difference in age there is disparity in the energies of two people. When the younger one bows down to older the energies are balanced. Well I cannot really comment on this. Because I have not really felt any difference in the energies. Also the other person’s level of spirituality is unknown.
  •         One more reason is when one bow down to another that person gives up the ego and embraces humility. The one whose feet is being touched in response blesses and becomes a well-wisher. Well to me if the person bow down with vengeance the purpose itself is lost! I do not see any effect on that person’s ego at all. Also, I personally think a pure soul doesn’t really wait for anyone to touch their feet to bless. They would bless anyways. Also I have seen many people who literally offer their feet to be touched, sit up right with head held high in ‘Ego’. I am not sure if this was the original purpose of this practice.
Having said that I have also come across very humble and gentle people who merely whisper Shri krishna’s name when their feet are touched. I asked one such person why he did so. The answer I got was worth pondering over. He said we all have come from one source, so the respect you offer me should be passed on to the lord himself because I am no one it is all him! That day my respect for this person went sky high. And whenever I touched his feet it was with highest level of respect I ever showed for anyone else.
  •          One strangest story I heard was when we touch someone’s feet our ‘paap’ is passed on to them!!. Well now if that is true I don’t know why so many people allow their feet to be touched at all.
  •          Then amongst Maharashtrians there is this practice that, after offering haldi and kumkum to a married woman, irrespective of age one has to touch their feet. This involves elders touching the feet of young ones. The reason I was told is it is a respect show towards the ‘Sumangali’ – the married one. By now I am too tired to even think about any reason for this practice.

So, my quest to find a suitable answer is still on. In the interim I touch elder people’s feet and simply in my mind ask for forgiveness.

So the rebellious brat that I am, what do you think I must be teaching my son? Aha I do not pass on things I do not believe in. So NOPE I have never asked my son to touch anyone’s feet. My parents and the husband have taken the burden of teaching my son ‘respect’ for others. Yes I do get to hear what is this? You haven’t taught your son to touch people’s feet! To which I simply say NOPE! I do not think it is important. And when the kid touches my feet I feel absolutely uncomfortable. For that matter when any of my nieces and nephews touch my feet I get uncomfortable. Simply because I feel they too are the universe’s magical creation as I am. To me their soul as respectful as my own. My humility just doesn’t permit it.

Wondering what I tell my son? Well I simply tell him, amma doesn’t like you touching amma’s feet because you are my doll and I love you. If you feel like touching other people’s feet please do so. But respect really means not yelling, shouting and displaying bad behaviour towards them. That’s my only teaching to the little one.


Have you ever come across such dilemma? Do share in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment